5 days of photography in the Bay of Fires and the Blue Tier
Join Rob Blakers and Loic Le Guilly for 5 days of landscape and night sky photography, staying at the famous Bay of Fires Lodge in northeast Tasmania.
Enjoy delightful Tasmanian cuisine, elegant accommodation and some of the finest landscapes in Australia.
Take your photography to the next level
The Bay of Fires landscape & night sky photography workshop includes:
– Sunrise and sunset photography on deserted beaches and granite shorelines
– Night sky, and with luck, aurora photography
– Rainforest and rivers
– Instruction tutorials on equipment and settings, composition, image processing, exposure blending, focus stacking, stitching, 360 panoramas, medium format digital and more
– Small group discussions and relaxed information-sharing
– One-on-one instruction
– Time to explore the landscape and for quiet reflection
Beginners welcome !
Loic Le Guilly is an expert in night-sky photography, including the elusive aurora.
He will share his techniques and enable you (weather permitting) to capture great night-sky images… and with a bit of luck an aurora !
The Bay of Fires Lodge is located away from city lights so the conditions for night-sky photography are ideal. The Milky Way image on the right was shot from the balcony of the lodge during our first workshop in May 2015 !
I have taken photos for as long as I can remember! I have a Diploma of Photography but really hardly any formal training. In 2015 (May), I attended the Bay of Fires 5 Day photography workshop. As we approached the Lodge a pod of dolphins surfed, we photographed ‘cotton wool’ water that night as well as an AURORA and milky way at 7.30 pm. I saw sunrises that would bring a tear to your eye, rivers more beautiful than I have ever seen before. I saw the moon rise as the sun did. This beauty combined with the expertise of of Rob and Loic and no other commitments provided the PERFECT combination to grow, learn and improve no matter what your level. Rob and Loic were fun, informative and helpful and I can’t wait to do another workshop with them.
Medium format digital photography
You will have a unique chance to try the 80 megapixel medium format system that Rob Blakers uses to produce incredibly detailed wilderness images.
Rob will share the techniques he has refined over the last 30 years to capture the best possible images, including focus stacking.
Accommodation at the Bay of Fires Lodge
Accommodation at the Bay of Fires Lodge is twin share. Single travelers may be required to share a twin room with someone of the same gender. To guarantee a single room for the duration of your stay a supplementary price of 75% of full fee will apply. Please request this at the time of booking.
The workshop price includes:
- return transfers between Launceston and the Bay of Fires Lodge
- all meals and non-alcoholic beverages. A selection of Tasmanian beer and wines will be available for purchase whilst at the Lodge.
- National Park pass for the Mt William National Park
- full participation in the workshop, including all tuition
- The workshop price does not include insurance coverage for trip cancellation or interruption, travel accident or delay, baggage delay or baggage theft, medical or hospitalization expenses. We recommend that you obtain travel insurance to cover these unlikely possibilities, as well as coverage for loss or damage to personal items including photographic equipment.
Workshop participants are responsible for making their own way to the Workshop meeting point in Launceston.
Is the workshop suitable for me?
- The Bay of Fires Photography Workshop will cater to a wide range of interests and levels of experience. With the Lodge as our base-camp there is considerable flexibility regarding where and how far we explore each day. That said, walking is our mode of transport. Participants should be in good physical condition and general health, capable of comfortably negotioating bush tracks and rocky foreshores whilst carrying camera equipment and warm clothes. Please contact us if you are uncertain in this regard.
- Workshop participants will be required to complete a comprehensive registration form at the time of finalising the booking. Information on any medical conditions that might have a bearing on your capacity to successfully complete the workshop should be provided at that time.
- The workshop is recommended for people aged 16 years and over.
What to bring
- warm clothes for 5 days – remember, this is autumn in Tasmania and we will be out early and late, at night-time and also in mountain rainforest at the Blue Tier. A detailed gear list will be made available at the time of booking.
- comfortable walking boots
- comfortable large day-pack or voluminous camera bag with room for warm clothes, water bottle and snacks
- camera kit, including tripod
- light-weight shoes/runners for use at and around the Lodge
- light umbrella for inclement weather
- personal items including water bottle, tooth-brush etc
To secure your place for the Bay of Fires Photo Workshop a deposit of $990 is required. This deposit is non-refundable. In the event that a workshop is cancelled due to inadequate enrollment or other circumstances beyond our control, all payments will be refunded in full.
Final payment may be made by direct deposit, cheque or credit card 60 days before the start of the workshop.
For further information please contact Wild Island at 03 6224 0220 or Rob Blakers 0427 232 539.