3 days of photography on Maria Island
Join Loic Le Guilly and Rob Blakers for 3 days of landscape, wildlife and night sky photography, staying at the historic Bernacchi House on Maria Island.
Enjoy delightful Tasmanian cuisine, elegant colonial accommodation and Maria Island’s extraordinarily diverse photographic landscape.
Take your photography to the next level
The Maria Island landscape & night sky photography workshop includes:
- Sunrise and sunset photography at graceful sandstone shorelines and the dramatic Fossil Cliffs.
- Night sky, and with luck, aurora photography
- Tasmania’s answer to the Serengeti! Tasmanian devils, wallabies, wombats and wild-birds
- Instruction tutorials on image processing, exposure blending, focus stacking and medium format digital
- Small group discussions and relaxed information-sharing
- Time to explore the landscape and for quiet reflection
Beginners welcome !
Loic Le Guilly is an expert in night-sky photography, including the elusive aurora.
He will share his techniques and enable you (weather permitting) to capture great night-sky images… and with a bit of luck an aurora !
Maria Island is located away from city lights so the conditions for night-sky photography are ideal.
The workshop price includes:
- vehicle and ferry transfers between Hobart and Maria Island
- all meals and non-alcoholic beverages. A selection of Tasmanian beer and wines will be available for purchase at Bernacchi House.
- accommodation at the heritage listed Bernacchi House at Darlington
- National Park pass for the Maria Island National Park
- full participation in the workshop, including all tuition
Is the workshop suitable for me?
- The Maria Island Photography Workshop will cater to a wide range of interests and levels of experience. With Bernacchi House in Darlington as our base-camp there is considerable flexibility regarding where and how far we explore each day. Walking is our mode of transport. Participants should be in good physical condition and general health, capable of comfortably negotiating paths and rocky foreshores whilst carrying camera equipment and warm clothes. Please contact us if you are uncertain in this regard.
- Workshop participants will be required to complete a comprehensive registration form at the time of making the booking. Information on any medical conditions that might have a bearing on your capacity to successfully complete the workshop should be provided at that time.
- Accommodation at the heritage listed Bernacchi House at Darlington is twin share. Single travelers may be required to share a twin room with someone of the same gender. To guarantee a single room for the duration of your stay a supplementary price of 75% of full fee will apply. Please request this at the time of booking.
- The workshop is limited to 10 guests and is recommended for people aged 16 years and over.
Please note that Workshop participants are responsible for making their own way to the Workshop meeting point at Wild Island in Hobart. The workshop price does not include insurance coverage for trip cancellation or interruption, travel accident or delay, baggage delay or baggage theft, medical or hospitalization expenses. We recommend that you obtain travel insurance to cover these unlikely possibilities, as well as coverage for loss or damage to personal items including photographic equipment.
What to bring
- warm clothes for 3 days – remember, this is spring in Tasmania and we will be out early and late. A detailed gear list will be made available at the time of booking.
- comfortable lightweight walking boots or runners
- comfortable large day-pack or voluminous camera bag with room for warm clothes, water bottle and snacks
- camera kit, including tripod
- light-weight shoes for use at Darlington
- light umbrella for inclement weather
- personal items including water bottle, tooth-brush etc
To secure your place for the Maria Island Photo Workshop full payment is required at the time of booking. This full payment is non-refundable. In the event that the workshop is cancelled due to inadequate enrollment or other circumstances beyond our control, all fees will be refunded in full.
Payment may be made by direct deposit, cheque or credit card
For further information please contact Wild Island at 03 6224 0220 or Rob Blakers 0427 232539